Instructions for Submission of Abstracts (Electronic Format only)
Please read the Society and Conference Rules before submitting an abstract.
Please follow these seven instructions carefully. If the instructions are not followed, abstracts WILL BE rejected altogether and will not be considered. No acknowledgement of receipt will be sent in the case of such submissions. Late abstracts will not be considered or acknowledged. A person may submit three abstracts maximum, one individual and two as part of a group of authors or as part of different groups of authors, but may not submit two single-authored papers.
1. Word limit: An abstract must be no more than 500 words (see suggestions for successful abstracts below). Please indicate the word count at the bottom of the abstract. Except for the instructions given below, no special form or format is needed for this initial submission of the abstract.
2. At the top of the abstract, put the title.
3. To ensure anonymity, do not put your name in the abstract name or in the abstract itself.
4. For IPA transcriptions, please use ANY Unicode font. Special non-Unicode fonts often do not transmit accurately. Lucida Sans Unicode is automatically available in Microsoft Word. We particularly recommend Doulos SIL (a Unicode font, among others, available at http://scripts.sil.org/DoulosSIL_download for Mac and PC users). If you use any non-Unicode font for IPA transcriptions in your abstract or your paper, you must submit a PDF copy to EasyAbs. You should also send your special fonts file via e-mail attachment for our compilation of the programme. If you need a PDF creator, go to this site to choose a free downloadable PDF creator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PDF_software.
5. When submitting your abstract, please indicate whether you are submitting as part of a proposed panel.
6) Please indicate whether you prefer to present your paper as a poster or as an oral presentation. (Posters should be a maximum of 3' w x 31/2' h OR 3 1/2' w x 3' h - poster presentations guidelines for a virtual conference will be sent to those interested).
7) Participants should indicate what spoken language they plan to present in (English, French, Kwéyòl/Kreyòl, Papiamentu/o, Spanish) or which sign language, and whether they will need interpretation at the conference. These facilities may or may not be available
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please note that all conference papers are normally distributed AFTER the conference. The format for the submission of papers will be sent to all those whose abstracts have been accepted and whose papers will have been delivered at the conference.
1 .Abstracts are more often rejected because they omit crucial information rather than because of errors in what they do include. Make sure the abstract clearly indicates your point.
2. Choose a title that clearly indicates the topic of the paper, but is as short as possible.
3. State the problem or research question, with specific reference to relevant prior research.
4. State the main point or argument of the proposed presentation
5. Cite sufficient data, and explain why and how they support the main point or argument. When examples are in languages or varieties other than standard English, provide word-by-word glosses and capitalise the portions of the examples which are critical to the argument. Explain abbreviations at their first occurrence.
6. Indicate the nature of the research design and the specific hypothesis. If your paper is not yet complete, report the results you have already obtained (or what you expect to obtain) in sufficient detail so that your abstract may be properly evaluated.
7. State the relevance of your ideas to past work or to the future development of the field. Describe analyses in as much detail as possible. Avoid saying in effect "a solution to this problem will be presented." State what the "solution" is/might be. If you are taking a stand on an issue, summarise the arguments that lead you to your position.
Contact information: Dr Clive Forrester firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep in touch with us on Facebook for all updates
To order any of the SCL publications, complete and submit the publications order form. All prices are included on the list.